Frequently Asked Questions
Questions to see Answers
- 1. Features
- 2. Workflow
- 3. Speed
- 4. Compatibility
- 5. Using Chartbot Barcodes
- 1.1. What types of 2D barcodes does Chartbot Barcodes make?
- Aztec Code, Datamatrix, MaxiCode (UPS), PDF 417, QR Code (includes MicroQR)
- 1.2. What types of 1D barcodes does Chartbot Barcodes make?
- Code 11, Code 128, Code 2 of 5, Code 39, Code 93, Codabar Rationalized, EAN 8, EAN 13, EAN 2,
Interleaved 2 of 5, ISBN, ISBN Addon 2, ISBN Addon 5, JAN 13, JAN 8 and JAN 2, MSI, Pharmacode,
Plessey, RSS 14, RSS Expanded, RSS Limited, UPC A, UPC E
- 1.3. What types of Postal barcodes does Chartbot Barcodes make?
- AusPost (Australian Post), Code 128, Datamatrix, FIM A B C and D (Facing Identification Marks),
KIX (Netherlands Post), MaxiCode (UPS), PDF 417, RM4SCC (UK Royal Mail), USPS Intelligent Mail (OneCode), USPS POSTNET
- 1.4. What if I need a type of barcode you don't have, or need special options?
- We can customize Chartbot Barcodes to your needs. Click for details.
- 1.5. Does Chartbot Barcodes work with International characters?
- Most barcodes are not allowed to contain international characters, but there are a very few barcodes (e.g. QR Code, Datamatrix)
that can. In those cases, international characters must be provided to Chartbot Barcodes as "escaped" character codes
as explained in the user's guide Data Formats section.
- 2.1. Can Chartbot make EPSs or PDFs?
- You can make PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Distiller Jaws PDF Creator, Ghostscript. You can "Export" layouts containing Chartbot from InDesign.
- 2.2. Can Chartbot barcodes be reworked or converted to other formats once generated?
- Yes, by converting InDesign layouts containing the barcodes to PDF, then importing into an illustration package.
- 2.3. Is it easy to reuse barcodes layouts (designs) for different barcodes?
- You can very easily cut and paste a layout from another barcodes, and you can use InDesign's library feature to store layouts.
- 2.4. Does Chartbot Barcodes work with variable data, such as InDesign's Data Merge feature, or third-party
add-ins such as DesignMerge, InData, and so forth?
- Yes, except for Yours Truly Designer and XMPie. See the Variable Data section of the user's manual for details.
There are a few specific tricks needed to work with InData; ask us for application notes.
- 3.1. Just how fast does Chartbot Barcodes print?
- Most barcodes print at rated printer speed. Adobe PDF Distiller converts 200 barcodes/second on typical systems!
- 3.2. Do Chartbot barcodes slow down InDesign's "Print Done" time?
- Very little. Chartbot Barcodes does no processing on your computer, so each barcode takes negligible time to send to the printer.
- 4.1. What page-layout programs is Chartbot Barcodes compatible with?
- InDesign CS series and Creative Cloud.
- 4.2. What computers is Chartbot Barcodes compatible with?
- Any Mac running OSX. Any computer running Windows.
- 4.3. What printers is Chartbot Barcodes compatible with?
- Any PostScript Level 2 or 3 printer, or compatible. Sorry, no PostScript Level 1.
- 4.4. What software converters is Chartbot Barcodes output compatible with?
- Ghostscript, Adobe Acrobat Distiller (5 onward) and Jaws PDF Creator can all be used to convert InDesign output containing Chartbot Barcodes
into PDFs or many other formats.
- 4.5. Can Chartbot Barcodes generate barcodes for the web?
- Yes, with custom setup. It can even produce dynamic barcodes on a web server. Please contact
Chartbot sales for details.
5. Using Chartbot Barcodes
- 5.1. How can I test the barcodes that Chartbot Barcodes generates?
- There are many commercial
software and/or hardware systems available. One free barcode decoder
(Windows only) is at www.dtksoft.com/barreader.php (press
Download SDK). We strongly recommend that you physically print the test
page to paper and scan it to make testing as realistic as possible.
- 5.2. How can I overprint text on top of a barcode?
- Normally, Chartbot
Barcodes will grab all text over a barcode. To avoid that, add the
/EndOfBarcode command on the next line after the last line of commands
or data. See /EndOfBarcode in Command Reference section of the user's guide.
- 5.3. How can I use data that may include slashes in it? Iím concerned that
the slash will interpreted as a command.
- See /EndOfCommands in Command Reference section of the user's guide.
- 5.4. When I try to place Chartbot Barcodes on top of a graphic or image,
the barcode comes out underneath it instead. How do I fix that?
- Use the /EndOfBarcode command. See /EndOfBarcode in the user's guide.
- 5.5. Do I need to take any special precautions if the barcode data may automatically have line-breaks inserted?
- Yes. See the /DataLine command in the user's guide.