Frequently Asked Questions
Questions to see Answers
- 1. Features
- 2. Workflow
- 3. Speed
- 4. Compatibility
- 1.1. What types of charts does Chartbot make?
- Pies, vertical bars, stacked vertical bars, lines, areas--with or without a 3-D effect. Also, very limited horizontal bars.
- 1.2. What if I need a type of chart you don't have, or need special options?
- We can customize Chartbot to your needs. Click for details.
- 1.3. What size numbers ...can I chart? ...can I print on the legend?
- Both can be as small as 0.0000000001, as large as 10,000,000,000
- 1.4. Can I control how numbers print?
- Yes, Chartbot provides very fine-grained control over number formatting -- most numbers can be even be controlled individually.
Here are some examples of printing "1234.5" with different formats: "$1,234.50" "1,234.5 Units" "$001,234"
- 1.5. How can I reserve blank space for data columns where data is missing (as opposed to zero)?
- For bar and line charts, you can define "place holder" data which will not print but will reserve space.
- 1.6. Can Chartbot properly color each element when there are varying amounts of data per chart?
- There are several choices for automatically coloring data, including: i) Repeating
sequences of colors, with optional non-repeating begin and end colors; ii) Auto in-betweening
to produce smoothly-stepped colors; iii) Labelled colors which will always show data with a
given label in a specific color, such as Cash: green, Stocks: blue, etc...; iv) Negative
numbers can be set to show in a special color.
- 2.1. Can Chartbot make EPSs or PDFs?
- You can make PDFs with Adobe Acrobat Distiller and Jaws PDF Creator. You can Export" pages from InDesign CS and onward.
- 2.2. Can Chartbot charts be reworked or converted to other formats once generated?
- Yes, by converting InDesign output containing the charts to PDF, then importing into an illustration package.
- 2.3. Is it easy to reuse chart layouts (designs) from chart to chart?
- You can very easily cut and paste a layout from another chart, and you can use InDesign's library feature to store layouts.
- 2.4. Does Chartbot Barcodes work with variable data?
- 3.1. Just how fast does Chartbot print?
- Most charts print at rated printer speed. Adobe PDF Distiller converts 200 charts/second on typical systems!
- 3.2. Do Chartbot charts slow down InDesign's "Print Done" time?
- Very little. Chartbot does no processing on your computer, so each chart takes negligible time to send to the printer.
- 4.1. What page-layout programs is Chartbot compatible with?
- InDesign 1.5, all CS versions, Creative Cloud.
- 4.2. What computers is Chartbot compatible with?
- Any Mac running OSX. Any computer running Windows.
- 4.3. What printers is Chartbot compatible with?
- Any PostScript Level 2 or 3 printer, or compatible. Sorry, no PostScript Level 1.
- 4.4. What software converters is Chartbot compatible with?
- Ghostscript, Adobe Acrobat Distiller (5 onward) and Jaws PDF Creator can all be used to convertInDesign output containing Chartbot charts
into PDFs or many other formats.
- 4.5. Can Chartbot generate charts for the web?
- Yes, with custom setup. It can even produce dynamic charts on a web server. Please contact
Chartbot sales for details.